Manor House Inn

Walking Tour of Bar Harbor

Shamrock icon/Manor House B&B/Bar Harbor Maine

Walk through time

Long before the first automobile arrived on Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor was a thriving village to be enjoyed by foot. Early visitors arrived by steamship, not unlike the almost 100 cruise ship visits we welcome each year.

Today millions of visitors also arrive by car. Many are unaware of the abundant opportunities for walking in the village of Bar Harbor–for health, historic and natural viewscapes, shopping, people- watching, or simply for fun.

From your front door at Manor House Inn enjoy an easy Bar Harbor village walk as the early “Rusticators” did.
Bar Harbor Walking Map/Manor House B&B/Bar Harbor Maine
Shamrock icon/Manor House B&B/Bar Harbor Maine
Enjoy your walk, and during your visit to Bar Harbor please remember the following:

Purchase an Acadia National Park pass. Passes fund vital park maintenance projects and may be purchased at the Village Green Information Center, the Park Visitors’ Center in Hull’s Cove, and the fee station on the Park Loop Road.

Hook up and pick up! Dogs are welcome in Bar Harbor, but please remember to keep them leashed and pick up after them.

For safety’s sake, please cross the road in designated pedestrian crosswalks.

Shamrock icon/Manor House B&B/Bar Harbor Maine

Trails History Islands Museums Architecture Gardens Shopping


The Village Green

A center of community life, the Village Green is host to concerts, art shows, and events. This spot was once the site of the 350-room Grand Central Hotel, which was razed and the land sold to the town of Bar Harbor at the turn of the century.
See More
Island Explorer Transfer Stop
Island Explorer shuttle buses are fare-free and take riders to many destinations in Acadia National Park, as well as to campgrounds, hotels, and surrounding villages. Use the bus to access trailheads, carriage road entrances, the Jordan Pond House, the Park Loop Road, and many other locations. Buses carry up to four bicycles, are wheelchair accessible, and will stop to pick up or drop off passengers anywhere it’s safe to pull over. Schedules are available at the Village Green transfer stop.

Cruise Bus Stop
Across the Village Green is an optional bus stop for cruise ship visitors. Disembark here for more shopping, galleries, museums and history. It is only a 15-minute walk back to the tenders.

Bar Harbor Green Market
Local produce, fresh cut flowers and more. Wednesdays 9am–1pm, across from the Island Explorer transfer stop.


The Abbe Museum

Delve into Maine’s Native American heritage at the Abbe. The museum’s exhibitions and educational programs explore the cultures, history, and archaeology of the Wabanaki, “the People of the Dawn.” The Abbe pur- chased the 1893 building in 1997 from the local YMCA, which had been housed there for nearly 100 years.

Jesup Memorial Library

This Colonial Revival-style library was completed in 1911. Step inside, browse the collection, and be sure to look up. Small in stature, it is expansive and abundant in classical architectural details and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

St. Saviour’s Episcopal Church

Constructed in 1877, this wood and stone structure is a fine example of an English Gothic parish church. The church, on the National Register of Historic Places, houses a number of formal English stained-glass windows, including 12 Tiffany windows, ranging in date from 1886 to 1992 as well as a variety of historic memorials. Next door, Bar Harbor’s centuries- old cemetery includes a memorial to the town’s Civil War soldiers.

1947 Fire Line

The Holbrook House on Mt. Desert Street stands just on the edge of the 1947 Fire Line. Much of Bar Harbor to the west of this line was burned while the eastern sections of downtown were spared by a change in the wind. The fire began in October after more than four months without rain— the driest conditions in 300 years according to the Maine Weather Bureau. Island residents and people from throughout the region joined together to fight the blaze that ultimately destroyed a total of 5 hotels, 67 out of 222 summer cottages, 170 out of 667 permanent homes, The Jackson Laboratory, and 10,000 acres of Acadia National Park.

Bar Harbor Municipal Building

Built in 1908 for $7,000, the municipal building houses the town office and provides public restrooms. The building was originally the Bar Harbor High School, graduating its last class in 1968.

Dorr Museum of Natural History at College of the Atlantic

Learn about Maine’s native animals and plants through exhibits produced by College of the Atlantic students. The exhibits portray how Maine species interact with their natural or human-altered environments. The museum is partially housed in the original Acadia National Park headquarters building, personally built by George B. Dorr. Mr. Dorr spearheaded the effort to create a national park through donations of private land—much of that effort took place in the building that the Dorr Museum has preserved.
See More
Also at College of the Atlantic
The Turrets was John J. Emery’s summer cottage, overlooking Frenchman Bay. This stately building was designed in 1893 by Bruce Price, the architect who also designed Quebec City’s famous Chateau Frontenac, and now houses College of the Atlantic offices and classrooms. The Turrets is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is considered the most important example of cottage-era architecture in Maine open to the public.

While at the College you can also visit the terraced Beatrix Farrand Gardens located between Kaelber Hall and the pier, and check out the exhibits at the Blum Gallery.


West Street Historic District

Built between the 1870s and 1930s, the “cottages” along this street offer a glimpse of Bar Harbor’s historic summer community before the Fire of 1947. Many of the cottages incorporate elements of the Shingle Style. Most of the houses are still privately owned and must be viewed from the public walkways. This 25-acre district is on the National Register of Historic Places
See More
CAUTION: Watch the time carefully, so you don’t end up stranded by fast incoming tides! High tides in Bar Harbor are 10 feet above low tide. Check with the harbormaster at the town pier for times.

Agamont Park

Enjoy a relaxing picnic lunch while watching the boats come and go on this grassy knoll overlooking the harbor, town pier, and the Porcupine Islands of Frenchman Bay. Hold onto your sandwich, the seagulls are bold!

Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce

Stop in here for information on restaurants, sights to see, and any other questions you may have about your visit. Information on the CAT ferry to Nova Scotia is also available here

Bar Harbor Post Office

Stamps and more! The Bar Harbor Post Office is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and consid- ered a notable example of the architectural eclecticism expressed during the early 1900s. The building is constructed of signature white granite mined from the Spruce Head Quarries in South Thomaston, Maine.

Shore Path

More than a century old, this level walking path follows the shore of Frenchman Bay from the town pier to Wayman Lane. It passes one of Bar Harbor’s oldest inns and several historic summer “cottages.” The Porcupine Islands, Balance Rock, Egg Rock Light, and the Schoodic Peninsula are just a few of the coastal sights along the way. There are many options for this route, ranging from a romantic stroll to an easy one-hour hike.

Athletic Field

Join a game of frisbee or cheer for your favorite Little League team at the athletic field, donated to the town in 1914 by Mrs. John S. Kennedy. During the 1880s and 1890s this was also the site of a thriving Native American marketplace where crafters and guides peddled their goods and services. The shade trees bordering the field were planted by George B. Dorr, one of the founders of Acadia National Park. Acadia’s original headquarters were once housed across the street at the corner of Main and Park Streets.
See More
The MDI YMCA has year-round facilities including a gym, fitness room, and swimming pool, in addition to

(14 continued)
classes and children’s programs. Visitors can purchase short-term and one-day passes. The YMCA is open seven days a week.

Eden Farmers’ Market
Every Sunday between May and October the YMCA parking lot is transformed into a bustling farmers’ market, featuring fresh, locally grown vegetables, fruits, herbs, and flowers as well as delectable baked goods. Open from 10am–1pm.


Great Meadow Loop

This loop trail connects the village of Bar Harbor to Acadia National Park via a pleasant two-mile loop walk from the Village Green. Completed in 2000 through the Friends of Acadia village connector trails program, the Great Meadow Loop leads to Acadia’s Sieur de Monts area and the Wild Gardens of Acadia, the park’s nature center, and the historic Abbe Museum. It also connects to trails up Huguenot Head and Dorr Mountain. During the season, plan a longer one-way hike and ride back to Bar Harbor on the Island Explorer.

Bar Harbor Historical Society Museum

Peruse the vast collection of photographs and docu- ments chronicling various eras of Bar Harbor history, including special focus on the 1947 fire. The Historical Society is housed in the former St. Edward’s Convent (1917–1970s), a Jacobethan Revival-style brick building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.